Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Making Gelato!

Lookin' classy with our hairnets on


Tonight I got to make gelato! Well, in reality I just watched it being made, but in the process I got to have unlimited samples while waiting, a small cup of the gelato we watched being made, AND a big cup of any 3 flavors I chose. Pretty good deal if you ask me, especially because the event was free.


To start with, you take a mixture of milk, cream, sugar, and egg whites as a base. From there, you add different ingredients to make a specific flavor. My group made crema gelato, so we added egg yolks and more sugar (both powdered & normal). Francesco (the star chef) told us about some of his experimental flavors, including one we got to sample called ambrosia. It was a mix of Greek yogurt, honey, and cinnamon. Very good, and different from any gelato I’ve tried thus far. He also mentioned one with grapes, rosemary, and some other ingredient I forget. Unfortunately, we didn’t get to sample that creation.

As summer approaches and gelato becomes more popular, they make more flavors to put out, so I’ll definitely be back to try more!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment